Procmail and Deliver

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Fri Nov 29 11:32:34 EST 2002

> Short answer: Avoid using procmail with cyrus, unless you want to have to
> screw with setuid problems with procmail and deliver and ACL wackiness on
> users' mailboxes.  IMO, the hassle you go through as an admin to force the

Since I trust my users (otherwise, I wouldn't give them procmail access,
much less shell access),  I let cyrus's deliver be setuid.  The worst that
could happen is that someone could deliver mail into someone else's box
without the audit trail of hitting the MTA first.

I did, at least on older versus of cyrus, need to do this hack in
procmail:

:0f
| sed 1d

This is to remove the leading "From " line.  I *could* do this at the MTA
level, but.. some of my users are still mbox users instead of cyrus users,
due to their choice of mail clients.

Clearly my situation is not adequate on a larger installation with
unstrusted users though.