DBERROR: Cannot allocate memory

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Dec 5 23:31:30 EST 2002

--On Friday, December 06, 2002 1:09 PM +1100 Rob Mueller <robm at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> This is probably more a berkeley DB question, but I'm wondering if anyone
> else has seen this. Every now and then we see this in our imap log.
>
> Dec  5 20:39:47 server2 lmtpd[24962]: DBERROR db3: Unable to allocate 4151
> bytes from mpool shared region: Cannot allocate memory
> Dec  5 20:39:47 server2 lmtpd[24962]: DBERROR: mystore: error storing
> <xxx at yyy>: Cannot allocate memory
[...]
> Anyway, has anyone else experienced this, or know of a solution?

This probably means you need to increase the size of one of the db memory
pool, also known as the cache. It has nothing to do with system shared
memory: the db memory pool is an mmap()d file in the db/ directory.

You can do this by making a DB_CONFIG file in the db/ directory that
contains... lemme see... if it contains "set_cachesize <gigabytes>
<megabytes> <kilobytes>" that should override what Cyrus compiles in with
the set_cachesize() function call.

Larry