Moving the cyrus mail store (var/lib/imap, var/spool/imap)

Joe Hrbek jhrbek at gplsinc.com
Mon Dec 9 15:03:54 EST 2002

I was wondering if there is an easy way to move the cyrus mail store to a
new server.  I tried moving it simply by tarring the /var/lib/imap directory
and /var/spool/imap but that didn't seem to work.  Of course, I had the mta
shutoff as well as cyrus-imapd prior to this operation.

I installed cyrus-imapd on the new server with the same RPMs I used on the
current system and then extracted the tar files on the new server in the
same location they were on the old one.  I started cyrus-imapd and it "check
pointed" the databases (I'm using simon matters RPMS, 2.1.10 I think).  All
appears to work, but after about 5 or 6 deliveries by the MTA, the cyrus
Deliver program begins to hang.  In addition, if I switch to LMTP instead of
using cyrus deliver (I use postfix as an mta btw), those processes will
begin to hang just as quickly as the deliver program did.

Obviously something isn't right.  I tend to believe that it is because of
the way I moved the spool and the *.db files.  Could someone tell me, or
point me to a document that explains how to move a cyrus system to a new
machine?  I looked through the docs, but I can't seem to find any such
information.

Additionally, when will the reconstruct -m command become available again?
I as able to find one pseudo how-to, not very in-depth, actually just a
newsgroup article that said, if you have problems with a database, run
reconstruct -m and it should fix everything.

Any help would be appreciated,

-Joe