using Murder for migration from UW IMAP

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Dec 9 18:37:13 EST 2002

Would it be possible to use Murder to migrate from UW IMAP?  I have
Cyrus setup and running on a new machine, but the problem is that taking
everything down and converting all the mailboxes would be too much
downtime (2-3 days).  What I was thinking of is setting up a frontend
server with UW IMAP and Cyrus as the backend servers, with the initial
mupdated database showing all the mailboxes were on the old IMAP server.
 UW IMAP isn't going to talk to mupdated, but if no mailboxes are being
created there it seems like that won't matter.  As each mailbox is moved
to the new server, the master list of mailboxes is reflected to update
the new location.

 From my inspection of the documentation and some of the code, it looks
like this should work with a couple of caveats (during the transition,
users have to be prevented from creating new mailboxes -- this can be
hacked in the code, and connections that have been referred to the old
server have to be broken when the mailbox is transferred).  Does anyone
see a reason why this won't work or any other gotchas to watch for?  Thanks.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931