using Murder for migration from UW IMAP

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 9 19:39:28 EST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, John A. Tamplin wrote:

> No, logins to it will have to be the user who is accessing their mailboxes.
> Once the client logs into the proxy, isn't that same login information passed
> onto the backend server?

No, the IMAP proxies use a "superuser" account to auth to the backends.
It's not quite an IMAP admin, but its pretty close.  This is because
mechanisms such as KERBEROS_V4 and GSSAPI make passing credentials hard.

> > Do you really have so much data that it would take 2-3 days to move it?
>
> The tests I have done so far (using both imap-utils mbxcvt and custom perl code)
> it looks like it will take around 60 hours to convert everything (2300 users,
> 23000 folders, 70G total), and that is putting /var/imap on a tmpfs filesystem
> for the conversion (about a 2x speed improvement there) and striping /cyrus
> across 14 drives in an FC-AL array.

Perhaps you'd be better off using Perdition or another IMAP proxy to do
the move, since the murder is really trying to solve a slightly different
problem.

-Rob