using Murder for migration from UW IMAP

Jeremy Rumpf jrumpf at heavyload.net
Tue Dec 10 11:53:17 EST 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 23:10 pm, John A. Tamplin wrote:
> Quoting Jeremy Rumpf <jrumpf at heavyload.net>:
> > You might also want to consider using the perdition IMAP/Pop3 proxy. It's
> > well
> > suited for something like this since it can use LDAP, MySQL, PostreSQL,
> > and
> >
> > local GDBM databases to lookup the real server for users.
> >
> > http://www.vergenet.net/linux/perdition/
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  Do you have a suggestion for an LMTP proxy that
> might use the same back-end database?

Not off hand, you can use Postfix's transport maps to kind of fake being an
LMTP proxy. That would require you to put another MTA hop in the mix, or
replace your boarder MTAs with postfix. I'm not sure how your layout is, but
postfix + LDAP can do some pretty nifty things when it comes to mail routing
(I'm sure other MTAs can as well, but I'm mostly fluent with postfix). From
postfix's perspective, one address could be delivered via LMTP to a Cyrus
mail backend, while another address can be SMTP delievered to another MTA
running on a UW IMAP backend. Routing can be switched on the fly by updating
the LDAP entry. I kind of describe what I'm talking about in this post:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&searchterm=perdition&msg=17997

I have plans to wrap this up into a more formal howto, but haven't found the
time yet. If you have any other questions/ideas, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Jeremy