ctl_cyrusdb -r takes too long

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 17 22:43:06 EST 2002

--On Saturday, December 14, 2002 5:50 PM +0530 Jatin Nansi
<jatin.nansi at timesgroup.com> wrote:
[...]
> Will ctl_cyrusdb -r take 10 hours ? I dread the day when the system will
> need downtime again.
>
> This is on a decent 2 x P3 1 GHz with 100 GB scsi raid and 1 GB RAM,
> about 2000 users, 50 MB per user.
>
> I really need reboot times to be between 5 to 10 minutes, as against 10
> hours. I will set the checkpoint period to 5 minutes as per the FAQ, but
> are there any other pointers ?

The amount of time a Berkeley db recovery should take it proportional to
the number of transactions since the second to last checkpoint. The more
frequent the checkpoints and the less the trransactions, the faster
recovery should go.

10 hours is an absurdly long time for the databases the size & activity
Cyrus stores in Berkeley db. I would make sure that database checkpointing
is happening regularly.

How many megabytes of log files do you have? Cyrus should automatically
prune the log files down, so there should never be more than 20 megabytes
or so in the db/ directory.

Larry