ctl_cyrusdb -r takes too long

marc.bigler at day.com marc.bigler at day.com
Tue Dec 17 04:53:27 EST 2002

Hello,

I am also quite interested in this topic as I will be using Solaris 9 with
UFS logging enabled on each slices. Can others from this mailing list
confirm that disabling UFS logging on the Cyrus slice (partition) will
speed up the "ctl_cyrusdb -r" process ? I guess if it's recommended to turn
off UFS logging, it would be good to have this somewhere in the Cyrus
documentation or maybe in the FAQ...

Regards
Marc

                    John Havard                       To:     info-cyrus at andrew.cmu.edu
                    <jhavard at netdoor.com>             cc:     Jatin Nansi <jatin.nansi at timesgroup.com>
                    Sent by:                          Subject:     Re: ctl_cyrusdb -r takes too long
                    owner-info-cyrus at lists.andr
                    ew.cmu.edu

                    12/16/02 06:17 PM

You wouldn't happen to have have /var/imap on a logging or journaling
filesystem by any chance?  A while back I noticed this under Solaris.  The
fix was to mount /var without UFS logging. IIRC, the db code does its own
journaling/logging, so the only thing you'll be missing by turning it off
in the FS is the long start times.

Regards,
John Havard
Systems Administrator
Internet Doorway, Inc.

Internet Doorway, Inc. (NETDOOR) - "Mississippi's ISP"
601.969.1434 | 800.952.1570 | http://www.netdoor.com/

--On Saturday, December 14, 2002 05:50:33 PM +0530 Jatin Nansi