SASLAuthD keeps dying.

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Dec 28 00:02:59 EST 2002

> Oliver Jones wrote:
>
> Howdy folks.  I have a bit of a tricky problem.
>
> SASLAUTHD keeps dying for no easily identifiable reason.
>
> I am running Cyrus 2.1.11 and SASL 2.1.10.  My server is running
> RedHat 7.3.  I built Cyrus from source RPM's provided by Simon Matter.
>
> I have saslauthd setup to use pam as it's auth mechanisim.  My
> /etc/pam.d/imap & pop configs use pam_ldap to authenticate with with
> my OpenLDAP server.
>
> SASLAuthD will run for some time without any problems.  It will then
> die.  I have no idea why it is dying.  I  think it is either
> seg-faulting or dying from other signal.  Perhaps sig-pipe.
>
> Anyway can anyone help me!!  I'm desperate here.  I've been trying to
> identify the source of the problem with a debugger but not having much
> luck.

Is saslauthd dumping core?  If not, then you might have to use 'ulimit'
to set the core file size to something other than 0.  Something like the
following should get you a core, assuming that saslauthd actually tries
to dump one:

cd /tmp
ulimit -c unlimited
saslauthd -a pam &

My guess is that saslauthd itself isn't the problem, and the PAM
module(s) are.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127