My Take on Virtdomains so far

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Aug 27 11:56:34 EDT 2002

kevin_myer at iu13.org wrote:

> > > The addition of per-service config files, was my first "poor-man's"
> > > virtdomains implementation.  You were the first one to take the ball and
> > > run with it!  ;)
> >

> > Actually this guy Kevin did that. Then he told me about it, and I documented
> > it. I think it's the optimal solution for very robust virtual hosting.
>
> That Kevin would be me I suppose.  I haven't been following the mailing list too
> closely for awhile so I'm reading this virtual domains thread/feature addition
> with interest.  I actually prefer the "poor-man's" virtdomains implementation
> because it works well with my setup here and I do want multiple config files.
> So am I correct in saying 1) that the new virtdomain support really extends
> cyrus IMAPd to do virtualhost by name and that 2) the "poor-man's"
> implementation will continue to work and be maintained?

Yes and yes.

> Are there any benefits to me to switching from my current setup and implementing
> the new virtdomains layout?  I have to migrate to SASL2 and a newer cyrus
> install at some point but I'd like to know if I should be including a
> virtdomains migration at that point too (I know the answer is probably going to
> be "It depends..").

Yup, it's entirely up to you.  If you like the flexibility of per-domain
configs, then I'd stick with what you have.

If you want to simplify administration (one config file, one set of db),
want to have one set of services which can answer for any domain, and
want the possibility of growing your single server to a Murder (Cyrus
cluster), then you might want to consider migrating.

Personally I don't care, since I added the code for both  ;)

> Basically my current config is to have multiple service definitions bound to
> different IP addresses and to define a different realm in each config file.  I
> specify a different LDAP directory tree for each config file and thereby
> guarantee that uids are unique per server instance but need not be unique per
> entire LDAP directory.
>
> Also, I saw that the mysql auxprop has been added to SASLv2.  Are there plans to
> include the LDAP auxprop patch as well or are there unresolved issues with that?

I don't use LDAP, so I don't keep tabs on it.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127