mbpath messes up mailboxes db on log rollover

Fredrik Jönsson fjo at nada.kth.se
Wed Aug 28 02:13:23 EDT 2002

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> That problem is probably true to all cyrus utilities
> that open the databases for writing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, the way I interpret it I
think you're wrong. I've written DB3 databases for the
management of another mailsystem and have had the very same
problem.  Read-only access to a transaction protected DB3
database causes updates to the transaction log, and when the
log rotates it will be owned by the user causing the access
that made it rotate. The solution was to have *all* software
accessing the database run as the same user with a
setuid/setgid if run as root.

Note that the updates made when running a read-only access
is very small and not likely to cause a rotate of the log.
In this particular case I ran a script veryfying some things
on a system with 23000+ users, and therefore running mbpath
more then 23000 times in a short period of time.

We're using DB 3.3.11 by the way.

	/fjo