duplicate suppression, sieve, loops, redirect and lost email

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Aug 30 19:16:04 EDT 2002

Quoting "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at cox.net>:

> Rob Siemborski wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Ken Murchison wrote:
> >

> >>It already does keep track of msgid/rcpt pairs for redirect, but I still
> >>don't see how this helps us.  How does the script know that it
> >>redirected back to itself?  Perhaps adding the server's hostname to the
> >>X-Sieve header would help us determine that this message is coming back
> >>to us via a loop.
> >

> > I don't think this is good enough, since I could have:
> >
> > redirect "leg+cyrus at andrew.cmu.edu"
> >
> > in my sieve script, which (if only the server name was included) would
> > then get dropped (or bounced or whatever).
> >
> > However, putting the expected rcpt-to value in X-Sieve might be
> > interesting, since then we have a user and a host name that has already
> > seen the message.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
> > Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper
> >

> I'm not sure I see the problem here...
>
> What I'm suggesting is a lot simpler: when a message is redirected by
> the sieve script, it's message id is stored.
>
> If, during a subsequent invocation of the script, the same message id is
> requested to be redirected again, the redirection is ignored (or turned
> into a keep).

All of this is already in place and works: a msg-id is only redirected to a
given rcpt once.  The problem that started this thread, is that some users
redirect a message to themselves in an attempt to save a copy, rather than
doing a keep.  In doing so, they never get a copy.

I think that the existing behavior is correct and what is expected when used
correctly.  The problem being discussed is an edge case where IMO Sieve is
being misused.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127