duplicate suppression, sieve, loops, redirect and lost email

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Aug 28 20:39:11 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:12:42PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Quoting Ragnar Sundblad <ragge at nada.kth.se>:
> >
> > When people do a sieve
> >  redirect "<myself>@<mydomain>" (that is, to themselves)
> > the email gets sent into the smtp world again, received again
> > and duplicate suppressions just silently discards the email
> > as has been discussed before.
> >
> > This is obviously now what people want, and it is also
> > obviously very bad to loose email.
>
> The message in question does not get lost.  It has already been delivered to
> the recipient once.

Delivered and redirected, actually.  It does disappear completely.

> I _am_ curious what a sane reason for redirecting an email to one's self is.

They assume that it will work, which is reasonable.  Most people wouldn't
expect their mail to disappear when they do that.  More likely, what they
want to do is to redirect a copy and keep a copy, so they put in two
redirects.  `sendmail' lets you do that with .forward files, and it
works as expected.  Of course, a `keep' is the right way to do it with
sieve scripts.