duplicate suppression, sieve, loops, redirect and lost email

William K. Hardeman wont-i at wkh.org
Fri Aug 30 12:55:55 EDT 2002

I don't claim any knowledge of what the dulplicate delivery database stores
within itself, or how it stores it, but Kevin's suggestion and Rob's reply
made me ask the question:

Is there a field in the database that is set _only_ if the message has been
delivered, but that remains _unset_ if it has been redirected elsewhere? If
so, could that field then be used to determine if the email is part of a
mail loop? Then, if the message has been delivered, as determined by the
"locally delivered to this mailbox" field in the database, the regular
duplicate checks could be run? Would that present any kind of a solution to
the problem? That way, if the code detects that it has received the same
email it redirected, going to the same mailbox id (because it was not
locally delivered to that user on the first N goes), it forces a either a
local delivery or a bounce to the sender, or both, depending one what the
RFC's call for?

Will

--On Friday, 30 August, 2002 12:25 -0400 Rob Siemborski
<rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> Why can't the duplicate delivery suppression database only store the
>> message ids of messages that _actually_ get kept in the message store?
>> If a message comes in and is redirected by a sieve script, should the
>> evidence of that message even be in the database at all?
>
> If the database only kept a record of messages that had hit the mailstore,
> it wouldn't prevent mail loops.  (Since mail loops, in general, don't
> result from a message that gets delivered to the mail store).
>
> -Rob
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
> Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper

William K. Hardeman
wont-i at wkh.org
http://www.wkh.org

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then
do it.
--Robert A. Heinlein