Cyrus - Upgrading flat mail to DB3

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Thu Aug 29 09:19:18 EDT 2002

 From the doc/text/install-upgrade file:

Upgrading from 1.6.22 or 1.6.24

     Warning: Cyrus imapd 2.0 will automatically convert on-disk file
     formats as the server is used. It is not possible to run 1.6 after 2.0
     has been used on a mail spool without reconstructing every mailbox.

       * Create some extra directories and remove the duplicate delivery
         database:

            mkdir /var/imap/db
            mkdir /var/imap/socket
            chown cyrus /var/imap/db /var/imap/socket
            rm -rf /var/imap/deliverdb

       * Convert mailboxes file to Berkeley DB:

            su cyrus
            cd /var/imap
            ctl_mboxlist -u < mailboxes
            ctl_cyrusdb -c

         Please keep a backup of your mailboxes file. You can dump an
         old-style mailboxes file by using ctl_mboxlist -d.
       * remove "/etc/inetd.conf" entries. The imap and popd3d lines need to
         be removed from /etc/inetd.conf and inetd needs to be restarted.
       * master process configuration: You'll need to configure the master
         process Cyrus process and ensure that it starts on boot. see this
         section of the configuration instructions.
       * MTA configuration. You will have to reconfigure your MTA to speak
         to lmtpd. See this section of the configuration document.
       * cyrus.seen conversion. The cyrus.seen file will be automatically
         upgraded as users read mail. After some time, you might want to
         delete the cyrus.seen file in each mailbox; it is superceded by the
         user/joe.seen file.
       * cyrus.index conversion. The cyrus.index file will be automatically
         upgraded the first time each mailbox is SELECTed.
       * Netnews conversion. The netnews programs are no longer built. If
         you are using netnews, you will need to apply the diff in the
         netnews/ directory to INN or see if INN is now distributing those
         changes. You will also want to run remotepurge on a regular basis
         to purge old netnews posts.