SASL/LDAP re-entrancy problem(?) on Debian 3.0

Mika Iisakkila mika.iisakkila at pingrid.fi
Fri Aug 30 07:29:10 EDT 2002

I've been trying to get an evaluation setup of Cyrus 2.1.8 running
on Debian (Woody). I'm using DB 3.2.9 as offered by the system,
and SASL 2.1.7, compiled by myself. I've already removed the "db"
references from /etc/nsswitch.conf as I learned the hard way last
year...

Anyway, I'm using auxprop authenticating against sasldb, and during
authentication imapd keeps dying with signal 11, and spews "Bad
IPLOCALPORT ..." into the logs. I suppose this is just another case
of Ye Olde SASL re-entrancy, this time through OpenLDAP: if I remove
all references to LDAP from /etc/nsswitch.conf and from PAM
configurations, everything works just dandy, except that I really
need them there.

Is there any workaround for this? I can't see where Cyrus would
need to consult to the LDAP libraries with the auth=unix /
pwcheck_method=auxprop -combinations. I also tried adding
sasl_auxprop_plugin=sasldb to imapd.conf, but it didn't seem to
make any difference.

ldd on any of the binaries doesn't show any direct problems
with linking to wrong libraries (no sasl2 provided by the
system, etc).

--mika