Cyrus IO ERROR: opening cyrus.header

adam at morrison-ind.com adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Aug 30 15:07:13 EDT 2002

>>I am running a load test on Cyrus. I send emails to the Cyrus mail server
>>at 1mail/100 msec. I have 10,000 users on the server. I keep getting the
>>following error:
>>IOERROR: opening /var/spool/imap/user/loadtest4295/cyrus.header: Too many
>>open files in system
>Please give us more information.  For starters, your cyrus version number
>(along with the rest of the output of the cyradm 'ver' command) would be
>useful.
>Also, what files are open by what processes.  Taking sample lsof outputs
>of lmtpd and imapd processes would probably be helpful.

You can look in /proc/{pid#}/fd/ as well.

>There have definately been file descriptor leaks in some versions of
>cyrus, but all known ones have been resolved in more recent versions.

Take a gander at ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/PerfTune2001.pdf

And make sure you don't have some kind of ulimit expressed on user "cyrus" or
whatever uid these processes are spawned as.

If you connect just 9000 times do you get the same problem?  At what point and
below does it keep up?