[Disksim-users] The question about Request Size in DiskSim/FlashSim

shzb89 at yahoo.cn
Sat Jan 5 21:12:34 EST 2013

Hi,all.
Recently,I use FlashSim to do some simulations. Now, I want to know the average request size of Financial1 trace. From the paper such as "WAFTL: A Workload Adaptive Flash Translation Layer with Data Partition","DFTL",they give the average request size, I don't know how they get the value.I have two ways to get the value, but I don't know if it is right.
1.From the output file of Flashsim, there are "Request size stats","Read Request size stats", "Write Request size stats",I can get the average value of average request size, I think the unit size is the same as the ascii trace, i.e.,512bytes(in the statdefs file, the Request size entry, the Scale is 1).
2.I get the value through caculate the average of the "bcount" in the trace.
I don't know which is right.

In addition, I found that the request size is just not the same as the bcount in the trace. For example,
Overall I/O System Request size distribution
   =  1    =  2    =  3    =  4    <  7    <  9    < 13    < 17    < 21     21+
      0       0       0      24       0       0       0  158986  474238  422200
but in Financial1 trace,after I convert it into the ascii format, the value of bcount can be 1,2,3,4 and so on. So the request size in DiskSim/FlashSim is not the same as the one in ascii trace, is that right?
Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance.