[Disksim-users] Cannot have 2 synthetic workload generators - 1 for time-critical, 1 for time-noncritical requests

Yipkei Kwok ykwok2 at miners.utep.edu
Wed Apr 10 14:31:19 EDT 2013

Dear Disksim users,

This is what I want to simulate.
* 3 concurrent synthetic workload generators
* the 1st 2 generate time-critical requests (i.e. each may have only 1
pending request)
* the 3rd generates time-noncritical requests (i.e. may have >1 pending request)

I posted the Disksim parameter files (.parv) and output files (.outv)
on my website. Please note that, for some reason, I have to append the
file names with ".txt" on the web site.

Settings
* I created my parameter file
(http://utminers.utep.edu/ykwok2/tmp/synthopen.3.parv.txt) based on
synthopen.parv that comes with the Disksim 4.0
* there are 3 disks. Each synthetic generator accessed its own disk
* changes I made
i. Number of processors
synthopen.parv:    1
synthopen.3.parv: 3
ii. "Probability of time-critical request" of the 1st 2 synthetic generators
synthopen.parv:    0.0 (i.e. Probability of time-critical request =  0.0)
synthopen.3.parv: 1.0 (i.e. Probability of time-critical request =  1.0)

Problem:
* The 1st 2 synthetic workload generators, each, generated only 1
request. After the requests were serviced, they did not generate
another request.

Details:
* output file (http://utminers.utep.edu/ykwok2/tmp/synthopen.3.outv.txt)
* I got into this problem on an unmodified version of Disksim 4 (vanilla).
* Number of requests generated by each generator.
$ grep -i 'Number of I/O requests' ./synthopen.3.outv
Process Number of I/O requests:  10002
Process 3 Number of I/O requests:  1
Process 4 Number of I/O requests:  1
Process 5 Number of I/O requests:  10000

* Number of requests serviced by the disks
$ grep -i 'total requests handled' ./synthopen.3.outv
Overall I/O System Total Requests handled:      10001
IOdriver Total Requests handled:        10001
IOdriver #0 device #0 Total Requests handled:   1
IOdriver #0 device #1 Total Requests handled:   1
IOdriver #0 device #2 Total Requests handled:   9999

Note:
* this problem does not happen when either all synthetic generators
generate time-critical or all synthetic workload generators generate
time-noncritical accesses.
* Case I: all generators generate time-critical access
Parameter file: http://utminers.utep.edu/ykwok2/tmp/synthopen.2.parv.txt
Output file:      http://utminers.utep.edu/ykwok2/tmp/synthopen.2.outv.txt
$ grep -i 'total requests handled' ./synthopen.2.outv
Overall I/O System Total Requests handled:      10001
IOdriver Total Requests handled:        10001
IOdriver #0 device #0 Total Requests handled:   3387
IOdriver #0 device #1 Total Requests handled:   3253
IOdriver #0 device #2 Total Requests handled:   3361
* all generators generate time-noncritical access
Parameter file: http://utminers.utep.edu/ykwok2/tmp/synthopen.5.parv.txt
Output file:      http://utminers.utep.edu/ykwok2/tmp/synthopen.5.outv.txt
$ grep -i 'total requests handled' ./synthopen.5.outv
Overall I/O System Total Requests handled:      9998
IOdriver Total Requests handled:        9998
IOdriver #0 device #0 Total Requests handled:   3438
IOdriver #0 device #1 Total Requests handled:   3313
IOdriver #0 device #2 Total Requests handled:   3247

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Yipkei

Yipkei Kwok
Ph.D. Student
Research Assistant
HiPerSys Lab
Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at El Paso
Phone: 915 747 6433 (O)
E-mail: ykwok2 at miners dot utep dot edu