[Disksim-users] access time estimation

Anjo Vahldiek vahldiek at mpi-sws.org
Tue Oct 23 00:30:26 EDT 2012

Hi,

Answering this question is not so simple, since I do not know where you
would like to use the estimate. (outside or within disksim) I'm asuming
that you would like to get the estimate within disksim, but outside the
diskctlr. So that you could e.g. decide which disk or replica of content
should serve the request, if multiple disks/blocks hold the same content
(but are in different states/content has different location).

I cannot give you an entire recipe, but I think what you're looking for
can be found in the disk model interface dm_mech_if in diskmodel/dm.h.
This interface holds functions to account for entire access time,
rotational or seek latency, translate between various models of state
representation... I'm not saying that it is very handy to use, but the
functionality is there...

Now the question is how do you get the implementation of the interface
for a specific disk and the current state of the disk. Using the getdisk
(globally available) fct call... It gives back a structure containing
current state (which is required for most of the interface functions) as
well as the implementation of the interface.

getdisk itself needs only an integer to return the disk - and this makes
it tricky to use. Depending on your implementation it can be difficult
to know which disk should serve the request. The latest point at which
one can decide the disk is in the controller (smart, simple or your
implementation).

Anjo