[Disksim-users] some issues about disksim(V4.0)

代成俊 dcjy at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Tue Mar 6 06:29:03 EST 2012

Hello everyone,

     I am using disksim(v4.0) to get the response time of a request.
With the help from Anjo and Yipkei, I have solved some issues.
Thank you very much. But there are many issues confused me all the same.

     1, Where the data in the file disksim4.0/valid/ascii.trace is
from,a really trace set collected from one application or generated
by disksim itself?

     2, Is there anyone who is familiar with the data download from
the site:http://traces.cs.umass.edu/index.php/Storage/Storage ?
What's the meaning of "application specific unit(ASU)" mentioned in
its specification file? Is it the same with the device number in trace
file?

     3, Followed Anjo's advice,I add a option in .parv file(identified by #)
to get the finish time of every request.
disksim_global Global {
   Init Seed = 42,
   Real Seed = 42,
   Stat definition file = statdefs
#  Detailed execution trace = exectrace.rlt
}
It really works. However, it only contains simtime and blkno(as shown below),
if the scheduling policy is not FCFS, the request's served order is different
from the intput order, so,how to identify the corresponding relationship
between the request trace and the simtime in exectrace.rlt file?
Could it record other information such as start_time,and so on,to identify them?

void iodriver_access_complete (int iodriverno, intr_event *intrp)
{
   disksim_exectrace("Request completion: simtime %f, devno %d, blkno %d, time %f\n",
		     simtime, req->devno, req->blkno);
}

Best Wishs.
dcj