[Disksim-users] Problem about stopping simulation because of saturation

Peter Macko pmacko at eecs.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 12 09:40:05 EDT 2012

Hi,

This is most likely because of DiskSim's hardcoded limit on the number of requests that can be in flight at the same time. The maximum number is MAX_QUEUE_LENGTH declared in src/disksim_logorg.c, which is by default 10000.

The problem is that disksim replays the disk I/Os from the trace at the same speed regardless of the performance of the simulated device. For example, if the trace has an I/O every 1ms, then disksim will issue an I/O every 1ms, regardless of how long that I/O takes to complete - even if it is not yet complete. So if the trace issues requests faster than the device can process, the simulation will die because of saturation.

A quick solution for this problem would be to increase the simulation time between successive requests. Multiplying all timestamps by 2 or 3 should help.

A more general solution to the problem - but also by far the most time solution - would be to develop a new trace format, with the corresponding record and replay tools, in which disksim would know which I/Os need to complete before which I/Os can be issued, so that the timing of the requests in the trace would adjust dynamically depending on the device performance. I hoped to do it at some point, but I was just never able to find the time for it.

Best,

-Peter