[Disksim-users] DiskSim 3.0/FlashSim Simulation problems

Jonathan Tjioe jontjioe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 22:05:06 EDT 2011

DiskSim users,

First, let me apologize for making this email so long. I wanted it to be
thorough so my problem is explained clearly.

I'm running DiskSim 3.0 with FlashSim (same as the FlashSim in the DFTL
paper). It's basically DiskSim 3.0 with support for SSD.

I've been running the "runtest" script which basically runs a small sample
test file through all 3 FTLs: Page mapped, DFTL, and FAST. The test trace
that was included is very small (8-9MB) and I get the intended results as
the authors of the DFTL paper did.

All the runtest script does is run the same trace file on these 3 FTLs:
../src/disksim pagemap.parv pagemap.outv ascii ./trace/test.file 0
../src/disksim dftl.parv dftl.outv ascii ./trace/test.file 0
../src/disksim fast.parv fast.outv ascii ./trace/test.file 0

Upon successful completion of the simulation, I noticed that in the .outv
files, I will see:
<<
loadparams complete
Initialization complete
Simulation complete

After this, I will see many performance statistics along with every request.
I get the appropriate results when simulating DFTL, FAST, and pure page
mapped FTL.

However, once I tried putting any other real world trace (which is much
longer) in the simulation, it does not complete successfully. It should be
noted that I have not made any modifications to any of the 3 FTLs during
these tests. I have verified that my format of the trace files is correct:
<arrival time> <devicenum> <LBA> <size in # of sectors> <1 or 0 for read or
write>

There are 3 different results that I get, all of which are unsuccessful
simulations:
1) Segmentation fault
2) Simulation is stopped because of saturation
3) Simulation seems like it finished, but when you check the .outv files,
the last line says "initialization complete" (in otherwords it does not ever
say "simulation complete"

One example (Error #1) is when I run the entire finanical trace in, I get a
segmentation fault simulating DFTL. Although I didn't get segmentation
faults for FAST or pure page mapped, their corresponding .outv files do not
look correct. They seem like they never finished simulating. In the .outv
files for all 3 FTLs, it shows:

<<
loadparams complete
Initialization complete

But it never shows "simulation complete" and thus the results are not shown
in the .outv file. The weird thing is that if I just include maybe several
hundred lines of the Financial1 trace instead of the entire thing, it
completes successfully with no problem, so I know my format of the file is
correct.

Another example (Error #2) I noticed that I the Financial2 trace did not
have any segmentation faults but instead I had a different message:
<<
Stopping simulation because of saturation: simtime 108.435867, totalreqs
10394

I did some research and found that there is a define statement in
disksim_logorg.c that sets the MAX_QUEUE_LENGTH to be 10000. In each of the
instances when the simulation stopped due to saturation, the totalreqs
number was just over 10000. I imagine the queue length is getting very large
due to the fact that I only have a device num of 0 since my GC algorithm
will be a local GC algorithm, not a inter-disk algorithm.

And lastly, if (Error #1) or (Error #2) occur, the simulation will never
complete and no simulation summary will be in the .outv file (which is Error
#3).

My questions are as follows:
Regarding (Error #1), I have no idea why I am getting segmentation faults.
Do you think it is some type of buffer overflow issue b/c there is so much
data with the real world traces? Remember, that if I just take a smaller
subset of the real world data, it simulates to completion without any
problem.

Regarding (Error #2), I can try just increasing the MAX_QUEUE_LENGTH to
maybe 100000 and see what happens, but is that the right solution or is
there something else that I need to be aware of.

Regarding (Error #3), I would assume that this will be solved once I find
the solutions to (Error #1) and (Error #2).

I really appreciate any help or hints you can offer. I will also post this
to the disksims mailing list.

Thanks for your valuable time,
Jonathan Tjioe