[Disksim-users] help for the construction of raid 5 in disksim and the way of trace acquisition

Yinliang Yue yueyinliang at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 02:07:06 EST 2010

The answers to the first question:

The following combination in  synthraid5.parv  shows that you are using a
RAID5. For the reason, please see the manual.

   Distribution scheme = Striped,
   Redundancy scheme = Parity_rotated,

Please see the the function named logorg_maprequest() in disksim_logorg.c if
you want to make a deep analysis of the mechanism of RAID5.

2010/3/6 fei fei <fei33423 at gmail.com>

> question 1 :    i have read the manul ,and i want to use the disksim to
> simulate a raid 5 system about reading and writing.
>             in the manual ,i find that the parameter concerned with raid 5
> is "redundancy scheme "in the section "disk array date organization" of the
> manual
>            and  i find  the file synthraid5.parv in the "valid" folder of
> the disksim source code .however i can not find the configuration about raid
> 5 in                     the file.
>             *how do the disksim make the data  stored in the way of raid
> 5?*
>             *if i will reach my purpose ,which one in the "src" folder  of
> the disksim source code should i change ??*
>
> question 2 :     in a paper i find that the author use the trace of the
> software " cpp ,andrew benchmark and wc"as a input to disksim
>             [The C preprocessor (cpp) is the preprocessor for the C
> programming language. ]
>             [The Andrew benchmark is used to compare BFS with two other
> file systems]
>             [The wc command stands for " word count ]
>             *how can i get the trace of the software ? utilise some tool??
> *

Regards!

Yinliang Yue
F301, WNLO, HUST, Wuhan, China