[Disksim-users] Stopping simulation because of saturation, what is the ture reason?????

Shi Liang (Charles) shil0704 at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Tue Jul 13 05:19:48 EDT 2010

Hi, all

I use disksim to run a intensive trace. There is a very strange problem that I come to:
As we know, the controller type 3 can have cache there.
I fI use type 3 controller with a cache to run the trace, there is a sudden stop of simulation with following message:
   "Stopping simulation because of saturation: simtime 143242.140000, totalreqs 103433"
I know this message comming from file disksim_logorg.c with the outstanding value bigger than 10000.

But when I use the type 1 controller, which is no cache, but directly send the request down or up. It can successfully run without any problems.

In my view, with a cache, the throughput shoud  be bigger, and it should not saturation compared with no cache.

This is strange. If any one comes to this question, pls share with me, thank you very much.

SHI Liang
USTC of China and CityU of HK

(Someone has shared that this is because throughput, but with no cache, it is OK. I think this is not the ture reason.)