[Disksim-users] Has anyone used DIXtrac?

Yonggang Liu myidpt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 15:34:28 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to Disksim. Recently I met some problems when I was running
DIXtrac on CentOS 5.1 to model the 8GB SCSI disk on VMWare.

I followed what DIXtrac says to extract the local disk model. The first
problem is when doing the disk layout mapping, it shows "Cannot handle
defect list format (0)". So I looked into the code and commented out the
"read_defect_list" function in that hope that it still works correctly. But
after then I met the second problem. When I'm running pass0.py, the program
kept running all the time (it didn't finish after several days). I think it
may because the python program has used up too big memory, since it stores
the entire content of "layout.mappings" to the object "lout". But the
layout.mappings file is usually in the scale of gegabyte, which the memory
can not deal with. To verify my guessing, I tried the small layout.mappings
files, and this time pass0.py works well.

These problems have confused me for a couple of weeks. If anyone have used
DIXtrac, could you please help me? I will really appreciate it. Thank you
very much!

--
Yonggang Liu
Advanced Computing and Information Systems Laboratory