[Disksim-users] block placement

nihat altiparmak nihat.altiparmak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 14:56:12 EST 2010

Hi all,

We are working on the effects of different placement strategies to the
performance of our system. In our system, we need to place different blocks
to different disks and make some simulations. Can we do this by using
DiskSim? As far as I understood, this is controlled in DiskSim by the trace
file assuming that the disks have all the blocks that they can store and if
we tell to disksim that;
"read block # X from disk A", it assumes that, that block X is stored in
disk A. But if we have a one disk array logical organization lets say with 3
disks and we want specific blocks to be stored in specific disks such that;

blocks 1, 5 ,7 are stored in disk 0
blocks 11, 23 are stored in disk 1
block 18 is stored in disk 2
..
..

all the other blocks are randomly placed, then can we do this by adding our
own function similar to the function "logorg_mapstriped (logorg *currlogorg,
ioreq_event *curr)" into disksim_logorg.c file?

Thanks in advance,

--
Nihat Altiparmak
University of Texas at San Antonio