[Disksim-users] Smart Controller needs Scheduler Section

David Maung dmaung at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 2 15:36:13 EDT 2009

All,

I am attempting to implement the smart controller with a memory cache
(Controller type = 3).  In my initial parameter file, I neglected to add a
Scheduler section, which resulted in a Segmentation Fault.

It seems that a smart controller needs a scheduler section defined.  If this
is the case, it should probably be mentioned in section 3.4.7 of the Disksim
users manual.  To help myself avoid this error in the future, I inserted a
line at line 444 in disksim_ctlrsmart.c

ASSERT( currctlr->queue != NULL); // Current controller must have a queue
defined.

Although a more user friendly error message would probably be better
somewhere earlier in the code, at least an ASSERT is better than a
segmentation fault.

Sincerely,

David Maung