[Disksim-users] I have a Question on Disksim Riad5 Simulation

Greg Ganger ganger at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 17 09:49:59 EDT 2008

I cannot go thru the files in detail, but when DiskSim stops with that
form of message, it usually means that the requests are consistently
arriving faster than the underlying storage system can handle them.
With trace-driven simulation, there is no feedback between request
service times and subsequent request arrivels, so the queue of requests
to be serviced grows and grows (as queueing theory dictates that it
must)... at a hard-coded constant queue length, the simulator exits
with this message rather than continuing to simulate an absurd situation.

(It can also mean that there is a bug in the configuration that causes
no requests to be serviced.  But, this appears to be an instance of the
case above.)

Good luck,

Greg