[Disksim-users] Make errors. Old compiler required?

shay raz kamashay at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 08:40:45 EDT 2007

Dear Alan,

  compiling DiskSim is a known issue.
  please see the following good instructions-email:
  https://sos.ece.cmu.edu/pipermail/disksim-users/2006-November/000096.html
  if you are able to compile the code under a different platform, please share
  the how-to knowledge with the rest of the community.

  Best,
  Shay

Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:
  Alan Dayley wrote:
> I am attempting my first compile of disksim 3.0. It fails with plenty
> of warnings and errors. I found an email in the archive from more than
> a year ago that states gcc 2.95 should be used to compile.
>
> 1. Is there a build "howto" or some other build guide?
>
> 2. Is an old version of gcc still required?
>
> 3. Is there an effort to bring the code base forward to current tools?
>
> BTW, I am attempting to build on an OpenSUSE Linux 10.2 installation
> using gcc 4.1.2.

(Answering myself...)

I did more digging in the email archive and found this message:

https://sos.ece.cmu.edu/pipermail/disksim-users/2007-August/000204.html

with an attached patch file. After application the build was
successful, albeit with plenty of warnings. The "runvalid" test was
successful too.

Perhaps this message should be referenced on the home page until the
patch is properly integrated?

Alan