[Disksim-users] simple disk approximation ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Sat Aug 25 05:16:04 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

	This is prolly a really lame question; but perhaps someone kind will
help out :-)

	I have a need for a very approximate disk simulator; ie. something that
behaves in a way that approximates some sort of disk, pretty much any
disk would be fine - but it needs to be larger than 9Gb :-) [ preferably
variable sized "today I want a 150Gb disk" or whatever ].

	The reason is that I wish to overlay a file-system snapshot over the
disk, and all my live file-systems are > 9Gb (apparently the
largest .parv available in valid/).

	Would simply tweaking valid/synthsimpledisk.parv achieve this ? if so a
few queries:

	* why this duplication:

disksim_simpledisk SD0 {
     Block count =  100000,
..
Generators = [
disksim_synthgen { # generator 0
   Storage capacity per device  =  100000,

	* and would setting both of these to a far larger
	  number suffice ?

	* In my 'Generators' section, I have 4x cut/paste copies
	  of:

	disksim_synthgen { # generator 0

	each marked 'generator 0' - is this really necessary ?

	Thanks,

		Michael.