[Disksim-users] Write throughput

Yipkei Kwok yipkeikwok at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:58:58 EDT 2007

Hi Youngjae,

There are several write-related parameters in the diskspecs file.

e.g.
- Fast write level (i.e. write-back caching)
- Combine seq writes
- ... ...

Do they give some hints? I hope it helps.

-Yipkei

On 8/24/07, Youngjae Kim <youkim at cse.psu.edu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I tested write/read throughput with Barracuda disk (barracuda.diskspecs,
> barracuda.parv) for synthetic workloads. The configuration for my test and
> results are as follows.
>
> 1. Config.
>
> I varied sequentiality (0-1). Inter-arrival time is set to be very small
> enough to fill up the queue all the time. The request size is 8 blocks
> (8*512=4KB). I tested every case till the program is aborted because of
> queue filled up.
>
> 2. Results
>
> Regardless of sequentiality, write throughputs are almost the same. I don't
> know why this happens. IOPS is around 100. However, the read throughput
> varies according to the sequentiality, from 100 to 200.
>
> Do you have any idea of why write throughput is smaller than read throughput
> and why write throughput does not change with the sequentiality of the
> workloads? And in the implementation, is there any additional overhead to
> the writes different from read ones?
>
> Thank you.
> YJ,

Web site:
http://360.yahoo.com/yipkeikwok
http://www.mcs.csueastbay.edu/~ykwok/
email addresses:
yipkeikwok at gmail dot com
ykwok2 at miners dot utep dot edu
ICQ UIN:    2309842
Google Talk ID:    yipkeikwok at gmail dot com
Yahoo! Messenger ID:    yipkeikwok
MSN Messenger ID:    yipkeikwok at hotmail dot com