[Disksim-users] separate write cache

Nuengwong Tuaycharoen mitzytest at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 15:49:08 EDT 2006

Hi,
I'm using Disksim 2.0. I am just not sure how to implement a separate write
cache buffer from a read cache. I want my write cache buffer to (1) have
multi-segments, (2) piggybacks the write requests when the read/write head
passes the disk sectors, and (3) sends the write requests to the disk when
the disk is idle. How can I set the parameter files to implement that? Right
now I set these parameters:

Number of buffer segments: 1024
Maximum number of write segments: 512
Use separate write segment: 1
Immediate buffer write: 1

The write cache papers claimed that the cache can improve the performance
significantly. However, the output from my settings seems not to change
much. Do I need to set anything else?

Thank you.

-- NT