[Disksim-users] when the new release of disksim will come out

Steve zgy04 at 126.com
Fri Aug 18 07:21:46 EDT 2006

Hello,John  Bucy,
    I wonder when the new release of disksim will come out. At least, I want to know where to get the disk specification file of some newer disk typies whose capacity is more than 10GB. After all, the disk typies described by the disk specification file along wiht disksim 3.0 is too old.

All  the  best.

        Steve
        zgy04 at 126.com
        2006-08-18

=======  2006-08-16  01:40:54  John  Bucy  Written:  =======

>Not  to  mention  the  fact  that  (IIRC)  there  is  some  code  that  casts  some
>of  those  structs  around  in  weird  ways  that  may  mysteriously  break  if
>you  change  it.
>

>john
>
>On  8/15/06,  Shahrukh  Rohinton  Tarapore   <shahrukh at cs.virginia.edu >  wrote:
> >  the  short  answer  is  no,  you  shouldn't  change  the  ioreq_event  struct  if
> >  you  can  help  it.    the  ioreq_event  struct  does  have  a  member  called  buf
> >  which  you  can  use  you  maintain  a  pointer  to  the  "system  level"  request
> >  (which  contains  the  ID  field).    If  you  look  at  the
> >  disksim_request_arrive  function  you'll  see  the  system  level  request
> >  parameter  is  a  pointer  and  that  pointer  is  assigned  to  the  buf  member  of
> >  the  ioreq_event.    you  should  do  the  samething  in  your  implmentation.
> >
> >  the  reason  for  not  adding  the  ID  field  to  ioreq_event  is  that  the  core
> >  disksim  structs  have  been  sized  to  optimize  memory  allocation  during
> >  simulation  so  increasing  the  size  of  this  struct  could  unnecessarily
> >  slow  down  your  simulation.
> >
> >  --  shahrukh
> >
> >  haya  shem  tov  wrote:
> >
> >   >  shahrukh,
> >   >  your  reply  was  very  helpful.
> >   >  I  changed  the  Request  struct  in  syssim_driver.h  to  include  ID  field,
> >   >  only  this  did  not  seem  to  be  enough,  since  in  disksim_interface.c  the
> >   >  Request  struct  is  copied  to  a  ioreq_event  struct,  so  I  also  added  to
> >   >  this  struct  the  ID  field
> >   >  (does  it  seem  ok?)
> >   >  this  however  solved  the  problem.
> >   >  thanks,
> >   >  haya
> >   >
> >   >  */Shahrukh  Rohinton  Tarapore   <srt3g at cs.virginia.edu >/*  wrote:
> >   >
> >   >          Haya,
> >   >          The  syssim_drive  may  not  be  the  best  example  for  interfacing  a  system
> >   >          level  simulator  with  disksim  because  syssim_drive  only  allows  one
> >   >          pending
> >   >          request  at  a  time,  so  it  is  not  necessary  to  identify  multiple
> >   >          requests.
> >   >
> >   >          There  is  a  quick  fix  to  this  however.  The  request  structure  that
> >   >          syssim_drive  defines  can  be  altered  to  include  a  unique  id
> >   >          (probably  of
> >   >          type  long  int).  Then  each  time  you  call
> >   >          disksim_interface_request_arrive
> >   >          with  a  new  request  structure  just  ensure  an  unused  id  is  in  the
> >   >          structure.
> >   >
> >   >          When  disksim  reports  completion  of  a  specified  request  you  can
> >   >          check  the
> [...]