[Disksim-users] Disk Transfer Time

Ozlem Akpinar ozlemakp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:28:03 EDT 2005

Hi,
I have a question about the transfer time component of the access time in disk.

For a single zoned disk, I believe for a single block request, this
value is the full revolution time of the disk divided by number of
blocks in a track.

When I have requests with two blocks, and no caching, transfer time is
higher than the twice of the number I obtain for the single block
request.

What exactly is included in that excess time? A possible head switch
when the second block is on a different surface than the first one,
and a possible cylinder switch when it is on a different cylinder?

Thank you.
Ozlem