[DANCE] Tomorrow: Talk on "Scripting and Orchestration at Scale: New Frontiers in Pedagogy for Large Online Courses"

Oliver Ferschke ferschke at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 6 13:05:15 EDT 2016

Dear DANCE partners,
we would like to invite you to the upcoming DANCE talk tomorrow, Thursday, July 7, at 11am EDT.
Jim Slotta and Stian Håklev are going to talk about "Scripting and Orchestration at Scale: New Frontiers in Pedagogy for Large Online Courses”.
As usual, you have the opportunity to submit questions during the talk that we are going to discuss with the speakers after the presentations. The talk will also be available to watch later on YouTube.

You can find the links to the Hangout on Air, speaker bios and an abstract on the talk website under
<http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk14.html>http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk14.html

All the best,
Oliver and Carolyn

ABSTRACT:

Teaching with technology and inquiry (INQ101x) was a six-week MOOC designed for in-service teachers interested in learning how to integrate technology and inquiry into their own practice. The course was co-led by a professor and a school principal, and showcased the viewpoints of school administrators and classroom teachers.

INQ101x applied Knowledge Community and Inquiry model (KCI; e.g., Slotta, & Najafi, 2012) to a large scale context with more than 8000 registered participants. KCI informed our design of a “script” where participants created and applied a collection of annotated resources for teaching with technology and inquiry, and a subset of participants opted to collaboratively design a lesson plan, working in small groups and receiving feedback from the wider community.

Two live events in the last week of the course allowed learners to discuss their questions with the course instructors and with master teachers who had contributed to INQ101x. To foster in-depth discussions among learners, we used learners’ professional background to create 10 Special Interest Groups (SIG). Learners chose their SIGs after completing a pre-course survey, a mandatory step to join design groups and SIG specific discussions.

Of all registrants, 2008 learners completed the survey, 357 learners joined design groups, and 120 active design groups were formed. More than one thousand annotated resources were submitted to the resource collection.