[DANCE] Reminder: Next DANCE Talk tomorrow at 1pm EST

Oliver Ferschke ferschke at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 27 11:13:37 EST 2016

Dear DANCE partners,
we would like to remind you of tomorrow’s talk by Ari Bader-Natal.
At 1pm EST, he is going to speak about "Supporting and assessing classroom discussion in an active learning seminar”.

You can find the website of the talk at http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk8.html
The hangout will be available at http://bit.ly/dancetalk8

Please take the opportunity to submit questions via the Q&A function of the hangout.
We are going to address this questions with the speaker after his talk.
You can find the abstract for the talk at the bottom of this mail.

Looking forward to tomorrow.
Best,
Oliver and Carolyn

----

ABSTRACT:
In a small seminar classroom, how might we actively engage every student in the discussion? How might we provide each student with timely and actionable feedback on their contributions to a classroom discussion? How might we structure summative feedback so that students are evaluated not on what they produce for a final exam, but instead on what they demonstrate that they have mastered and can apply in new contexts, years later? These are a few of the questions that have guided the design of the Active Learning Forum, the core technology used to support and assess learning in every class at the Minerva Schools at KGI.

In this talk, I will introduce the Active Learning Forum, and discuss ways in which this computer-supported collaborative learning environment has been designed to support effective teaching and learning. With this background established, we can shift the discussion to whichever aspects of the Active Learning Forum that are of the most interest to this DANCE audience. This might include: the use of technologies for activity orchestration, the use of realtime feedback to help instructors moderate discussion, the use of video annotation as a basis for formative feedback, the use of a summative assessment framework that cuts across courses and over time to identify mastery and far transfer.

I encourage you to watch this video [1] prior to the talk to get a picture of what a class looks like on the Active Learning Forum.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5iiXqh7Tg