[DANCE] Invitation to the first DANCE Talk of the year

Oliver Ferschke ferschke at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 22 11:14:19 EST 2016

Dear DANCE partners,
we would like to wish you a happy new year 2016 and invite you all to the first DANCE talk of the year on Thursday, January 28 at 1.00pm EST.
Ari Bader-Natal is going to speak about "Supporting and assessing classroom discussion in an active learning seminar".
As usual, you can find more information about the speaker and his talk on the DANCE website under http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk8.html

The February talk will be given on 2/18/16 by the world famous leader in the field of Learning Analytics, Dragan Gašević.

We have recently completed three different MOOC deployments (each in a different course) with our Bazaar agents to support collaboration.
In each case we could see substantial local positive impact on retention in the course for those who experience a collaborative chat, and progressively fewer technical issues related to coordination of chats.  Feel free to contact us if you would like to use the agent supported synchronous chat in your courses.

We are actively following up on the feedback we received in the panel discussion on Xblock development we held in December.
The DANCE collaborative XBlock is now a publically available resource that you can readily use in the Open edX platform. It allows easy integration with automated social recommendation functionality. You can find more information and links to the code and documentation on our Resources page: http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/resources/

Finally, earlier this month we held the first DiscourseDB hackday, hands-on workshop that introduced the foundations of our discourse representation framework and showed how to import new data sources into our universal representation format. Links to the slides and a video recording of the tutorial can be found on the DANCE Resources page as well: http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/resources/

We are looking forward to seeing all of you online at the next DANCE Talk on January 28.
Best,
Oliver and Carolyn