[DANCE] Talk by Chinmay Kulkarni and update on DiscourseDB and XBlock development

Oliver Ferschke ferschke at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 11 18:41:04 EDT 2015

Dear DANCE partners,
we would like to invite you all to the upcoming DANCE talk on Thursday at 11.00 EST.
Chinmay Kulkarni is going to talk about  "Leveraging Global Diversity through Small Group Discussions in Massive Online Classes”.
As usual, you can find more information about the speaker and his talk on the DANCE website under
http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk4.html

Looking into the future, the September talk will be held by Joseph Jay Williams from HarvardX.
In his talk on September 10, Joseph is going to present the MOOClet framework for enhancing and personalizing online education.
You can find more information under
http://dance.cs.cmu.edu/talks/talk5.html

We are happy to report that our design and development efforts are progressing very well.

A first implementation of DiscourseDB is now available on GitHub along with a data converter for importing edX discussion forums.
DiscourseDB is a universal discourse representation framework that allows to represent discourse data from multiple sources to alleviate discourse analyses and learning analytics.
Currently, DiscourseDB offers a low-level data access layer for communication with the database. A high-level API is currently under development along with more converters for other data sources.
https://github.com/DiscourseDB

A first prototype of our collaborative Xblock for the edX platform is now available on GitHub. This Xblock aims at providing the possibility of integrating synchronous and asynchronous discussion interventions in MOOCs. In its final version, the Xblock will be connected to DiscourseDB which provides all the analytical possibilities to users of this component that DiscourseDB makes available.
Visit the DANCE Google group for more details about the current design and development  progress and feel free to leave comments, suggestions or questions
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dancecollab/Z-7zLhMc5OQ
Furthermore, you can find the codebase on GitHub under
https://github.com/DANCEcollaborative/collab-xblock

We hope to see many of you on Thursday at the DANCE talk.
All the best,

Oliver and Carolyn