License in new files

Alexey Melnikov alexey.melnikov at isode.com
Tue Apr 14 13:35:20 EDT 2020

Hi Simo,

On 13/04/2020 15:18, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Hello,
> In https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-sasl/pull/598 I asked a question
> given I forgot to fix (C) in files we recently merged.
>
> The question is simply: what license needs to be set on files?
> I personally prefer to give a very liberal license like 2 clause BSD,
> when a non-copyleft work is involved. Generally that license is
> compatible with anything else already on the work and won't conflict.
>
> Is there any rule on (C) on net new files in cyrus-sasl ?

I would just cut & paste license from something like plugins/scam.c (and
update appropriately):

/*
  * Copyright (c) 2009-2016 Carnegie Mellon University.  All rights
reserved.
  *
  * are met:
  *
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  *
  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
  *    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
  *    distribution.
  *
  * 3. The name "Carnegie Mellon University" must not be used to
  *    endorse or promote products derived from this software without
  *    prior written permission. For permission or any other legal
  *    details, please contact
  *      Carnegie Mellon University
  *      Center for Technology Transfer and Enterprise Creation
  *      4615 Forbes Avenue
  *      Suite 302
  *      Pittsburgh, PA  15213
  *      (412) 268-7393, fax: (412) 268-7395
  *      innovation at andrew.cmu.edu
  *
  * 4. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
  *    acknowledgment:
  *    "This product includes software developed by Computing Services
  *     at Carnegie Mellon University (http://www.cmu.edu/computing/)."
  *
  * CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO
  * THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
  * AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY BE LIABLE
  * FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
  * WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN
  * AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING
  * OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
  */

I think it is 2 clause BSD.

Best Regards,

Alexey