Regarding use of cyrus-sasl 2.1.26 for memcached client-server authentication

Om Kale omkale68 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:47:27 EDT 2018

Hi All,
I am trying to use cyrus-sasl for authentication in memcached. I am using
DIGEST-MD5.
I have added DIGEST-MD5 as a mech_list option in my memcached server
application.
This is how my memcached.conf looks:
ubuntu-okale:~/sasl$ cat memcached.conf
mech_list: DIGEST-MD5
log_level: 5
sasldb_path: /home/cisco/sasl/memcached-sasl-pwdb

Also I have created the passwd file by passing the location of
memcached-sasl-pwdb  to the saslpasswd2 tool using -f option.

echo testpass | saslpasswd2 -f /home/cisco/sasl/memcached-sasl-pwdb -a
memcached -c -p testuser

However, on the memcached server log, I see following error:
authenticated() in cmd 0x21 is true
mech:  ``DIGEST-MD5'' with 0 bytes of data
SASL (severity 5): DIGEST-MD5 server step 1
sasl result code:  1
>28 Writing bin response:
>28   0x81 0x21 0x00 0x00
>28   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x21
>28   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x7b
>28   0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00
>28   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
>28   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
<28 connection closed.
SASL (severity 5): DIGEST-MD5 common mech dispose

Is there anything I need to change in the cyrus-sasl configuration itself
for the authentication to work.
FYI: The PLAIN option is working fine.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,