telnet hangs on the sasl2 part

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Fri Jun 2 10:04:33 EDT 2017

On 06/02/17 09:15 +0200, Roelof Wobben wrote:
>Op 2-6-2017 om 09:01 schreef Dan White:
>>The 'warning: SASL per-process initialization failed' is a postfix error,
>>indicating a likely configuration problem within postfix.
>>
>>See auth.debug syslog entries for any cyrus sasl errors.
>>

>Bummer, on the postfix ML they say it a cyrsus-sasl error.
>Can someone give me a hint how I can search for this.
>
>I tried   grep "auth.debug" /var/log/messages     and grep
>"auth.debug"  dmesg and looked at the journalctl but no entries are
>found.

You'll need to configure your syslog daemon to see auth.debug (or auth.*).
For example, that may be placed into a separate file such at
/var/log/auth.log. You can also increase sasl logging with 'log_level: 7'
in your sasl config.

See:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/cyrus2/options.html
https://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.6/install-configure.php

With your configuration, I don't see any reference to saslauthd, so I doubt
that is an issue. Verify you have proper permissions to access the sasldb
database file. If you're running postfix chrooted, it may not have access.

--
Dan White