to much syslogging by default

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Wed Jan 28 13:52:27 EST 2015

On 01/28/15 17:51 +0100, Pavel Reichl wrote:

>On 01/27/2015 06:51 PM, Dan White wrote:

>>>Hello Dan,
>>>
>>>I'm not aware the we configure log_level, but if you give me a
>>>hint what to grep for I'll check it.
>>>
>>>Actually we are using journal, but it seems that the level is 7.
>>
>>log_level is a sasl option, and would be configured in the same place as
>>mech_list. For Cyrus IMAP, it would be sasl_log_level within
>>/etc/imapd.conf, or in a stand alone config file for most other servers.
>>
>I don't think we use any kind of configuration file.
>We use SASL via openldap lib so I'm currently looking into its code to
>see if they set it, or if we can set it through some openldap lib
>option.

It's a file name slapd.conf, located in a sasl specific directory. You
should consult your OS's documentation for its location. /usr/lib/sasl2 and
/etc/sasl/ are two common locations.

>Anyway, I'm not sure it will help I looked again through SASL code and
>if I understand the code correctly:
>
>1) setting debug_level has no effect
>2) there's no way how to use our own log callback
>
>Am I right?

I suspect you are right, as your analysis indicates.

If your goal is to reduce syslog output, use a syslog level lower than
auth.debug. libsasl2 expects you to only be doing so during debugging, as
discussed here:

http://www.cyrussasl.org/docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.25/sysadmin.php
http://www.cyrussasl.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.17/install-configure.php

--