How to debug warning: SASL authentication failure: could not verify password?

Ivan Richwalski ivan at seppuku.net
Fri Sep 26 12:09:19 EDT 2014

On 9/26/14 12:21 AM, paul at odysen.com wrote:
> I don't think it's a bug, it was working... then one day it stopped.  I know i was messing around with users and virtual hosts to be able to host multiple domains and around this time of my mocking around i think i messed something up or perhaps it was the same time my server upgraded... either way i'd like to understand why it's failing, how to properly debug the issue, and how to resolve it.
>
> Versions:
> $ uname -a
> SunOS example.com 5.11 joyent_20140724T170801Z i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

I'm currently hosted on Joyent, and had the exact same thing occur. One
day the system is running fine, and then the next suddenly users aren't
able to send outgoing mail ( using postfix, linked to cyrus sasl ), but
are able to access their incoming mail ( using courier imap, linked to
courier's authlib ), all talking to courier authlib on the backend.

Here's the versions on the system I'm running on:

[ivan at excalibur ~]$ uname -a
SunOS excalibur 5.11 joyent_20140710T182029Z i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

[ivan at excalibur ~]$ pkgin search courier
courier-authlib-0.63.0 = Courier Authentication Library
courier-imap-4.8.1 = IMAP server for access to maildir-style mailboxes
courier-maildir-0.65.2 = Courier maildir utilities
couriertcpd-0.65.2nb1 = Courier TCP socket and TLS servers
maildrop-2.5.2 =     Courier mail delivery agent with filtering abilities

[ivan at excalibur ~]$ pkgin search postfix
pflogsumm-1.1.0      Produce summaries from Postfix syslog data
pfqueue-0.5.6        Real-time queue scanner for postfix
postfix-2.8.5 =      Postfix SMTP server and tools
postgrey-1.33nb2     Postfix Greylist Policy Server

[ivan at excalibur ~]$ pkgin search cyrus
cy2-digestmd5-2.1.25  Cyrus SASL DIGEST-MD5 authentication plugin
cy2-login-2.1.25 =   Cyrus SASL LOGIN authentication plugin
cy2-plain-2.1.25 =   Cyrus SASL PLAIN authentication plugin
cyrus-sasl-2.1.25 =  Simple Authentication and Security Layer

Ivan.