sendmail not authenticating

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Tue Jun 17 13:41:12 EDT 2014

Dan, thanks for catching that!  Ok, so now I've gotten further!

pwcheck_method:saslauthd
mech_list: login plain
saslauthd_path: /var/run/saslauthd/mux
allowplaintext: 1

and the perms look like this:
[#4136] ls -l /var/run/saslauthd/mux
srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun 17 13:11 /var/run/saslauthd/mux
[#4137] ls -ld /var/run/saslauthd
drwx--x--- 2 root sasl 140 Jun 17 13:11 /var/run/saslauthd/
[#4138] grep sasl /etc/group
sasl:x:45:smmta,smmsp

At this point, what made it work was chmodding the /var/run/saslauthd to
777.  So sendmail must be running in some other group.

I have to say that this was bloody difficult to debug.  It would have been
so kind to output a simple 'open failed: /var/run/saslauthd' or something
similar rather than a generic error!

Thanks for your help.  Now on to the next problem, why isn't sendmail
allowing me to send (relay) mail now that the connection is properly
authenticated...

Michael Grant