question re. credential caching by saslauthd

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Mar 2 23:13:26 EST 2013

Dan... Thanks!

A couple of follow-ups if I might (inline, below)...

Dan White wrote:
> On 03/02/13 21:26 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>>
>> Which leads to several questions:
>>
>> - what's going on being the obvious one - is this a Cyrus SASL
>> behavior, or is there some caching going on elsewhere (i.e, by the
>> postfix smtpd)?
>>
>> - what's the default setting for the cache timeout?
>>
>> - is there a way to flush the credentials cache?
>
> See the manpage for saslauthd, specifically the '-c' and '-t' options.
>
> The default timeout is:
>
> saslauthd/cache.h:#define CACHE_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT           28800

yup.. saw the man page, thanks for pointing out the default - can I
assume that's in seconds?

> Restarting saslauthd should flush its cache.

That's a critical piece of info.
> To better understand the scope of the problem, try trouble shooting with
> imtest, smtptest, testsaslauthd (with '-s smtp', and '-s imap'), and
> pamtester.

Which I had thought to do testsaslauthd differentially with -s smtp and
-s imap - to see if they gave different responses.  Thanks for the
pointers to the other tools!

Miles