DIGEST-MD5 on HTTP webserver

Phil Pennock cyrus-sasl-phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Aug 1 02:08:38 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-31 at 17:07 +0200, Nil Croustillac wrote:
> It's been a while now I am trying to implement the Digest authentication
> with the Cyrus SASL library and I don't understand how to proceed.
> I am using the version 2.1.25 and only support digest mechanism, here is
> the desired behaviour (which doesn't work)

HTTP does not use SASL as a framing layer.

You want to read RFC 2617 which explains what goes into the headers at
each step, and implement based on that.  There are definite similarities
between HTTP Digest Authentication and DIGEST-MD5 as used in SASL, but a
SASL library won't typically help with HTTP.

You might try using libcurl instead?

-Phil