Random error with sasl+pam+mysql

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Sun Oct 28 00:11:49 EDT 2012

On 10/27/12 17:38 +0200, Tobias Kirchhofer wrote:
>Am 11.10.12 15:44, schrieb Dan White:
>>>I observed everything carefully with all relevant debugging options
>>>but no real insights. Below you find some strace from the saslauthd.
>>>First part is not working, second part works.
>>>
>>>Does someone has an idea to solve or give me a hint what else i could
>>>do to trace down the problem?
>>
>>Try starting saslauthd with '-n 0' which will cause saslauthd to fork a
>>new process for each connection. You might also be able to mask the problem
>>to some extent by enabling caching with '-c'.
>
>Starting saslauthd with -n 0 seems to solve the problem. Is it a huge
>perfomance issue running only 1 saslauth-daemon at once?

It is potentially, if you're performing a lot of authentications. You could
get an idea of what you're limiting yourself to with a test shell script
that calls testsaslauthd repeatedly (many times per second). There could
also be a performance hit on your backend database (mysql? I can't recall).

Compare that number with the number of authentications per second you see
during peak usage, or that you anticipate needing to support.

--
Dan White