SASL 2.1.15: PLAIN plugin behaving different than others: checkpass failed!

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at zimbra.com
Sun Jan 8 14:59:44 EST 2012

--On Saturday, January 07, 2012 2:03 PM +0100 Pascal Gienger
<pascal.gienger at uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after upgrading SASL from 2.1.23 to 2.1.25 (to be able to use the new
> Cyrus IMAP 2.4.13) a strange problem occurs:
>
> We use a special auxprop here which worked flawlessly to 2.1.23. I looked
> up the changes to 2.1.25 and made minor changes (int ... instead of void
> ... for the lookup function, SASL_OK as return value for "successful
> lookup").
>
> Result:
>
> NTLM works.
> DIGEST-MD5 works.
> CRAM-MD5 works.
> LOGIN works.
> Classic plaintext from Cyrus IMAP works.
>
> PLAIN  - DOES NOT WORK!
>

> The error is always the same:
>
> PLAIN [SASL(-1): generic failure: ]
>

> Whereas normal IMAP plaintext works without a problem:
>
> XXXXXX plaintext+TLS User logged in SESSIONID=<xxxxxxx-22832-1325800751-1>
>

> Any hint in which direction I could extend my search for the error?

You may also want to look at the thread I started this week "Postfix SMTP
auth doesn't work with cyrus-sasl 2.1.25", which is about the fact that
neither the PLAIN nor LOGIN mechanisms work correctly in 2.1.25.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff