Unread message count in shared folders

Phil Pennock cyrus-sasl-phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Feb 9 19:39:54 EST 2012

On 2012-02-09 at 20:31 +0200, T T wrote:
> I've set up a Cyrus IMAP server on Debian 6. I'm using the shared
> folders. The problem is, a subscribed user cannot see the correct
> unread messages count until she clicks the folder. So, given that a
> user at our company may easily have half a dozen of shared folders,
> important messages can stay unnoticed.
>
> I've seen this behavior on Apple Mail and Thunderbird so far. So, it
> is probably something about Cyrus settings?
> What would make the unread messages count visible as in users Inbox?

This is a client issue, not a server issue.

The cause of your problem is this statement in RFC 3501:

           Because the STATUS command is not guaranteed to be fast
           in its results, clients SHOULD NOT expect to be able to
           issue many consecutive STATUS commands and obtain
           reasonable performance.

In Cyrus IMAP, the client can get reasonable performance, but you
typically need to configure the client to override the safety-knob.

For Thunderbird, the last time I looked (many years ago) the only way to
change this was via about:config or prefs.js.  Last I checked, you need:

  user_pref("mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new", true);

--
https://twitter.com/syscomet